Click here to learn more about the benefits of fermented dietary supplement ingredients.
FermaPro® Black Garlic is a prime example of how fermentation can make already-healthy foods even more exceptional. Prized in many Asian cultures for its distinctive flavor and health benefits, black garlic is produced by aging regular garlic under mild heat, resulting in natural enzymatic fermentation. Some wonderful things happen when garlic ferments…
- As the garlic turns from white to black, its flavor shifts from pungent to sweet and savory.
- Fermentation reactions improve the garlic’s immune-supportive activity and antioxidant potency—doubling the oxygen radical absorption capacity.
What’s So Great About Garlic?
The use of garlic for medicinal purposes dates back more than 5000 years. Garlic’s cardiovascular effects are the most studied and promoted of its benefits, but its therapeutic properties also include plasma lipid support and positive effects on the immune system.
The health-promoting effects of garlic are derived from sulphur-containing compounds such as allicin and S-allyl cysteine (SAC), a superstar antioxidant found abundantly only in black garlic (compared to other garlics). Unfortunately, allicin is very unstable and degrades quickly under heat. It is also extremely pungent, which limits its potential as a dietary supplement.
The aging/fermentation of black garlic increases the levels of the stable compound, SAC, and changes the flavor and odor of raw garlic to a sweet, umami flavor.
FermaPro® Black Garlic is Unique
- Proprietary double fermentation
- A whole-food ingredient, sourced in North America and processed in Wisconsin
- Nothing is ever added – preserved in its whole garlic matrix
- No extraction or purification – natural phytonutrient profile is retained
- Freeze-dried – no added excipients
- Natural matrix ensures greater stability of marker compounds
- Guaranteed SAC content
- Higher ORAC than regular garlic
In addition to Black Garlic, our FermaPro® line includes
- FermaPro® GS15-4 Enzyme-Fermented Ginseng
- FermaPro® Cereal Grasses (Wheat, Oat, Alfalfa, Barley)
- FermaPro® Fruits
- FermaPro® Spices and Botanicals
- FermaPro® Seeds and Grains
- FermaPro® Vegetables
For more information, download the FermaPro® Black Garlic White Paper and Technical Bulletin.